Old cellar holes along an old town road
The old road to Dublin from Nelson is the oldest documented road in Nelson. It originally connected the gristmill at the outlet of Silver Lake to the Meeting House where the Nelson Cemetery is today. The road was laid out in July 1773 and was described as passing the home of Aaron Beal and through the land of John Adams whose cellar hole and several others can be viewed from the trail. The road was officially closed on March 10, 1959. The trail is an easy 1¼ miles long, stretching from Hardy Hill Road in Nelson south to Cricket Hill Road in Harrisville. Harrisville was formed in 1870 out of parts of Nelson and Dublin; all of this road was once in Nelson.
The old road connecting Nelson to Dublin is typical of old roads in town. It is flanked by stone walls 3 rods (49.5’) apart. It follows the north/south boundary of a line of the town’s original lots with a cellar hole on each 100-acre lot along the way. It connected Nelson with Dublin (the old line ran just south of Silver Lake) and, importantly, Mr. Wood’s “corn mill” at the outlet of the lake. It was the only grist mill in town at the time. The trail passes the former homes of David and Lydia Kimball; David’s brother, James, and his wife, Hannah; Amos and Sarah Child, and John and Mary Adams. Just south of the Adams cellar hole the road becomes Cricket Hill Road in Harrisville. Aaron Beal built his log cabin along Cricket Hill Road in 1769. All the other homes were built in the 1770’s and 1780’s. Most of the men saw service in the Revolutionary War. The families who lived here had as many as twelve children.